The following minutes were unanimously approved as submitted on February 7, 2017.


The regular meeting of the DTSA was called to order at 4:05 pm on Dec 8 in Room 5409 by Jennifer Thompson.


Jennifer Thompson (President), Phoebe Rumsey (1st Vice President), Hansol Oh (Secretary-Treasurer), Sarah Lucie (Admissions & Awards), Joseph Paul Hill (Curriculum & Exams Representative), Jared Pike (Graduate Council and Alumni Engagement Representative), Janet Werther (DSC Rep. for Theatre)


Elyse Singer (2nd Vice President), Margit Edwards (Professionalization Representative), Kalle Westerling (Digital Initiatives Officer)

Approval of Agenda

JW motioned to approve agenda. JP seconded. Agenda was unanimously approved as submitted.

Approval of Minutes

JP motioned to approve the minutes. SL seconded. Minutes unanimously approved as submitted.


President, Jennifer Thompson

Thank you so much to everyone who helped with Book sale! We made $348.00—down from last year (but in line with previous years), but hopefully we can make it up with trivia night or another possible fundraiser next semester.

Conference planning is going well—we have begun distribution of CFP. Please distribute CFP if you have know anyone who might be interested. We are currently working on inviting faculty facilitators.

I have the GAA document to review today. I would like to request to table the annex proposal until next semester.

The end of semester party and open executive committee meeting are on December 15, I hope to see you all there.

First Vice President, Phoebe Rumsey

Karaoke went off without a hitch on Nov. 17. There was an average of 12-13 people there throughout as some had to come and go. The contribution of the Pizza by the Dtsa was great and much appreciated by all. The first year students were almost all in attendance and I think this is a great mixer for everyone to get to know each other from different cohorts off campus and with song. I recommend another in the Spring for sure.

Second Vice President, Elyse Singer

Planning to resubmit proposal to DSC by Jan. 20 for Booth funding.

Secretary-Treasurer, Hansol Oh

Nothing to report.

Admission and Awards Representative, Sarah Lucie

Nothing to report.

Curriculum and Exams Representative, Joseph Paul Hill

Nothing to report.

As an Administrative Assistant working in the Theatre Program Office, though … I’d like to thank all members of the DTSA who helped with both preparation and cleanup for our Alumni Meet & Greet last week. We couldn’t have gotten everything up and running without you.

Professionalization Representative, Margit Edwards

The final professionalization event for the Fall semester occurred on
Tuesday, November 29 with a gathering of the Segal Center Visiting Scholars hosted by Frank Hentschker. Turn out by students was low due to change of day and time to Tuesday at noon. And it was right after the Thanksgiving weekend. Nonetheless it was an interesting afternoon. As usual the visiting scholars as varied group of people working on many areas that overlap with our own. Next year I will suggest we move the date earlier in the year. The schedule for spring has been finalized and I will bring a copy to the next meeting.

Digital Initiatives Officer, Kalle Westerling

Website has been updated with current bios. Resource Exchange keeps growing: Let’s think about other categories we want to add to the Resource Exchange (2nd exam field/book lists has been suggested for instance).

DSC Program Representative, Janet Werther

Nothing to report.

Graduate Council and Alumni Engagement Representative, Jared Pike

Lynette’s Alumni Cocktail party went well and was well attended by both current students and Alumni.

The next Graduate Council Meeting will be held on Wednesday December, 14. On the agenda is a discussion and vote on a resolution condemning the CUNY’s Expressive Activities Policy. I will send the board a full report following the meeting.

New Business

Lamont Fellowship extension to level II

May provide some chance for preliminary research fund for level II students.

Perhaps gear towards international travels..

End of Semester Party

Old Business

Reviewed GAA proposal

Some suggested corrections

Intellectual community

Conference going.

Next semester will work on work-in-progress thing. Cross-cohort event on sharing work. Also involving alumni.

International students

Will continue working on engagement next semester

Janet has been working on tax; working outside of CUNY while an international student and maintaining visa after depositing dissertation. She’d be happy to move forward with an event even if it’s on a limited or no budget.

Jen also wants to generate a handbook kind of thing

Suggest adding international rep to the DTSA board! As a separate question?

Health and Wellness

Karaoke! Will do something!


PR move to adjourn. HO seconds.

All in favor. Meeting adjourned at 4:52pm.