JESSICA A. MURRAY
Director of Digital Communications, Transformative Learning in the Humanities, 2021 – present
Developer and Designer, New York City Civil Rights History
National Archives Public Engagement with Historical Records Grant, 2020 – present
Ph.D. Developmental Psychology, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2020
MA Liberal Studies, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2014; Psychology of Work and Family
BFA Design, University of Texas at Austin, 2003
Mobilities, work-family psychology, transportation, technology, accessibility, and disability rights.
Graduate Fellow | Futures Initiative, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2016-2019
Digital Fellow | Center for the Humanities, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2014 – 2016
- Murray, J. (2020). Self-Determination in Transportation: The Route to Social Inclusion for People with Disabilities. Dissertation, The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
- Murray, J. (2020). Self-Determination in Transportation for People with Disabilities. Policy Research Inc. Analyzing Relationships between Disability, Rehabilitation, and Work (ARDRAW) Final Report.
- Murray, J. (2019) Understanding Transportation Challenges for People with Disabilities Returning to Work. Policy Research Inc. Analyzing Relationships between Disability, Rehabilitation, and Work (ARDRAW) Final Report.
- Murray, J. (2017). A systems analysis of Access-A-Ride, New York City’s paratransit service. Journal of Transport & Health, 6, 177-186.
- Murray, J (2014). Work-Life Experiences for People with Mobility Disabilities in New York City. Masters Thesis, City University of New York.
- ARDRAW Small Grant Program, Self-Determination in Transportation: The Route to Social Inclusion for People with Disabilities, (2019-2020)
- New Media Lab Digital Dissertation Award, CUNY Graduate Center (2019)
- WTS International and TransitCenter Transit Policy Innovator Graduate Scholarship (2018)
- ARDRAW Small Grant Program, Understanding transportation challenges for people with disabilities returning to work (2018-2019)
- Provost’s Digital Innovation Implementation Grant, 2017
- Early Research Initiative Grant, 2017
- Provost’s Digital Innovation Start-Up Grant, 2016
- Highest Doctoral Student Abstract Award, International Conference on Transport and Health (ICTH), 2016
- UT Undergraduate Research Fellowship, 2002
- Dean’s Travel Scholarship, College of Fine Arts, 2002
- Dean James Malone Endowed Scholarship, 2002
PROJECTS & WORKSHOPS
- NYC Accessible Travel Guide (2020). Online training course for ARDRAW Research Grant.
- futuresinitiative.org redesign (2019)
- Journal of Teaching Disability Studies, website design and editorial consulting (2018, September)
- Accessibility, Fall Workshops, Teaching and Learning Center, (2017, October)
- Our Mobility: A Mixed-Methods Research Protocol for Studying Daily Mobility, (2016-present)
- Accessibility, Fall workshops, Teaching and Learning Center, (2017, October)
- Futures Initiative: Total Participation Workshop, Pedagogy Day, 8th Annual Conference on the Teaching of Psychology, (2017, October)
- The Accessible Classroom in Context, Teach@CUNY Day, (2017, May)
- Rosa Parks’ Biography – A Resource for Teaching Rosa Parks website design and WordPress theme development (2016, February)
- Murray, J. (2019, August) – Self-Determination in Transportation: The Route to Social Inclusion for People with Disabilities. Society for the Study of Social Problems Annual Meeting. New York, New York.
- Murray, J. (2018, April) – Our Mobility, a Study of Transportation Disadvantage in New York City. 48th Annual Urban Affairs Association Conference. Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Murray, J. (2016, December). OAER: Open Accessible Educational Resources. CUNY IT Conference, 2016. John Jay College, CUNY.
- Murray, J. (2016, June). A Systems Analysis of Access-A-Ride, New York City’s Paratransit Service. International Conference on Transport and Health (ICTH). Mineta Transportation Institute/San Jose State University.
- Murray, J., & Daiute, C. (2016). Presentation of Narrating America Game. CUNY Games Festival. January 2016. Convened at The Graduate Center, CUNY.
- Murray, J., & Daiute, C. (2015). Narrating America Game Concept. Narrating America in the Community College Forum. Convened at The Graduate Center, CUNY.
- Daiute, C., Murray, J. & Kreniske, P. (2015, October) Narrating America in the Community College Forum. Convened at The Graduate Center, CUNY.
- Speaker, CUNY Tech Meetup, Inclusion and Technology, March 28, 2019
- Moderator, American Institute of Architects (AIA) New York, Cane and Able: Seniors and Public Transit, September 13, 2018
- Speaker, a11yNYC, Understanding transportation challenges for people with disabilities in NYC, June 5, 2018
- Speaker, James Gallery town hall forum, What is “Public” about Our Public University?, April 12, 2018
- Speaker, CUNY Centers for Teaching and Learning Retreat, Creating Accessible Web Content, January 11, 2018
- Moderator, Understanding the IRB, Part 1, Part of the Futures Initiative Thursday Dialogues, October 18, 2017
- Moderator, Futures Initiative, 2016-2017 University Worth Fighting For Series: Accessibility, Mobility, and Design with Sara Hendren and April Coughlin. February 8, 2017
- Respondent, Columbia University’s Seminar on Disability, Culture, and Society: Theorizing Access with Josh Miele, Associate Director of Technology Research and Development at Smith-Kettlewell Institute. October 21, 2016
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- NYCT Advisory Committee for Transportation Accessibility, Interim Chair
- CUNY Disability Scholars, Co-Chair and Director of Communications
- Collective of Critical Transport Scholars, CUNY
- Society of Disability Studies
- HASTAC Scholar
- Webmaster, Co-Chair, Director of Communications: CUNY Disability Scholars, Spring 2015-Present
- Member, Student Tech Fee Committee, The Graduate Center, CUNY 2017-2018
- Member, Executive Committee, Psychology subprogram in Human Development 2014-2015
- Member, Admissions Committee, Psychology subprogram in Human Development 2015-2016
- Chair, Advisory Committee for Transit Accessibility (ACTA), New York City Transit (NYCT), 2020 – present
- Organizer, Rise and Resist Elevator Action Group, 2017 – present
- Statistics software including, RStudio, SPSS, SAS, STATA, JMP-Pro
- Atlas.TI qualitative analysis software
- Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and After Effects
- Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
MediaWhiz, Art Director, Creative Director| New York, NY, October 2008 – May 2012
Targetbase, Freelance Art Director | Irving, TX, July 2007 – September 2008
Jessica Murray Designs, Freelance Art Director | Dallas, TX, June 2007 – September 2008
Splash Media, Video Editor, Graphic Illustrator and Designer | Addison, TX, January 2005 – May 2007
GlobalTec Solutions, Graphic and Web Designer | Addison, TX, December 2003 – January 2005
Capital Metro, Graphic Design Intern | Austin, TX, February 2003 – June 2003
UT Austin, Land Arts of the American West, Program Assistant | August 2002 – January 2003
ACLU of Texas, Graphic Designer | Austin, TX, April 2002 – July 2002