Greeting OpenCUNY participants!
We hope your spring semesters are off to a good start!
We also wanted to let you know about some upcoming opportunities for participation, important updates to the platform, and to remind you about some of our recent resources that may be of interest to you!
:::OPPORTUNITIES FOR PARTICIPATION:::
EVENT: Managing Your Digital Footprint Part 2 – Wednesday 4/10, 4-6pm (Rm 5414)
Herein we will continue the conversation about data privacy and security and include a discussion of how we might collectively communicate our concerns and advocate solutions related to student data privacy at The Graduate Center.
- Review our recap and resource list from part 1
DROP-IN SESSIONS: Join us in Room 5396 to get 1-1 support
- Wednesday March 13th, 4:00-6:00 pm
- Tuesday April 9th, 2:00pm-3:00 pm
OPENCUNY IS HIRING: Call is forthcoming
For those interested in becoming further involved, OpenCUNY will be hiring a new Coordinator this semester. While we are sad to losing our currently longest-serving coordinator, Laurie, we are happy to see her moving on and up, and looking forward to working with you! Stay tuned for the call for applications, coming to you via the Doctoral Students’ Council.
WordPress has introduced a new editor interface – Gutenberg.
To avoid confusion, we have activated a network-wide plugin (or bit of software) that maintains the older version of the editor across sites hosted on OpenCUNY (so nothing on your site should look differently!).
- You can activate Gutenberg across your site from the Dashboard: go to Settings in the left-hand menu, Select Writing from the secondary menu. There you will see the option to switch to the Block Editor.
Even for the ambitious, this interface can be disorienting. Here is an overview and guide to using the new editor. Sometimes videos are easier for getting started – so here’s one of those too! Of course there are many, MANY more resources and videos (and discussions!) available online… duck, duck, go!
:::RECENTLY AVAILABLE RESOURCES:::
Lastly, a quick reminder of some of the latest resources made available by the OpenCUNY team:
- View this resource list related to data privacy and security, VPNs and net neutrality!
- See how other OpenCUNY members are using the platform by taking a virtual gallery walk!
- Refer to this Guide to Using OpenCUNY to support your Student Groups to learn how this platform can be used to better support the awesome work you’re already doing!
Other questions, concerns, and crises can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org – get in touch as needed!
Wishing you all the best this spring semester!
Your OpenCUNY Coordinators,
~ Laurie, Paul & Kristen