You are eligible to participate in the program if you are a matriculated doctoral student in a CUNY graduate program and simultaneously employed in one of the following Professional Staff Congress (PSC) represented titles:
- Graduate Assistant A, B, and C
- Adjunct Instructor
- Adjunct Lecturer
- Adjunct College Laboratory Technician
- Non-teaching Adjunct I, II
Additionally, you must earn at least $4,122 a year working as a Graduate Assistant or as an Adjunct at CUNY.
If you are an adjunct employed at a Senior College, you are required to present proof of employment. However, doctoral students employed at a Community College, must be transferred to The Graduate Center payroll. Graduate Assistants enrolled in the Engineering Program must contact City College Human Resources Management.
For more eligibility details and relevant contact information, click here.
Current employee share of the biweekly premium for medical/dental/vision coverage for enrollees in the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) under the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP):
Individual coverage: $10.18
Family coverage: $69.95
- Every new semester take a moment to make sure that your NYSHIP status is up to date.
- If there has been a change to your job title or the campus from which you will be paid, you need to submit a transfer form.
- If you have graduated, taken a leave of absence, or withdrawn from your program, you are no longer eligible to remain in NYSHIP, even if you are an adjunct this semester. One of the requirements for NYSHIP eligibility is that you must be an active matriculating doctoral student.
- If your NYSHIP is terminating, you will be offered continuation of coverage via COBRA by New York State Civil Service. The coverage and providers remain the same, but you are responsible for paying the entire premium each month. If you are still a student but not in an eligible job title please complete and return the termination form.
- If you are an adjunct at a community college, you must contact the GC’s NYSHIP Coordinator, Scott Voorhees, and your community college so that your payroll can be transferred to the Graduate Center. This must be done each semester. (To be a participant in NYSHIP you must be a state employee. Community college adjuncts are considered city employees, so their payrolls must be transferred. It is your responsibility to advise us of your status each semester and whether you require a payroll transfer.)
- If you have changed your residence address, you notify us directly. Do not assume that because you have notified other departments that your NYSHIP record has also been updated.
- Please periodically check your pay stubs to be sure that the NYSHIP deduction is being taken.
Please send all completed forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As always if you have any questions concerning your coverage, claims or plan benefits please call GC’s NYSHIP Coordinator, Scott Voorhees, at the Student Affairs Office, 212-817-7400 or email: email@example.com.
NYSHIP Forms (transfer, change of address, termination of plan)
NYSHIP Orientation (ppt)
Student Employee Health Plan for Graduate Student Employees (SEHP), summary of benefits pamphlet (pdf)
NYSHIP—ARRA COBRA (pdf)
COBRA (For this link, you will need to select the Graduate Student option—I am a Graduate Student Enrolled in the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP)—the first time you click on it. To get to the correct page, close that tab/window in which you just selected the SEHP option, and click the link a second time.)
Domestic partnership forms
Enrollment Instructions (pdf)
Dependent Tax Affidavit (pdf)